Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday

So, it has been quite some time since I last went to mass/church. Today, Brian and I wavered back and forth whether or not to go. We decided to go, but we would leave early (or to the Catholics...right after Communion). Right as we got there and sat down, a nice old man came up to us and asked Brian to help take up the collection. Brian had no idea what he was really talking about but agreed as long as I did it too. So here we are in this huge Cathedral with a mile long aisle, and we have to go from our inconspicuous seats in the very back to standing up in front of the crowded Church. Basically we had to walk up to the front of the Church get the baskets with the long handle and go down the aisle shoving the basket in front of people's faces to guilt them into giving money. I think it is God's way of punishing us for missing Church for so long. We had to do this collection thing twice during the mass and even stand in the front of the Church during the whole Communion. I did not think I was nervous, but my armpits were drenched and basically I was preoccupied with my potential pit stains then doing a thorough money collecting job . So much for going to Church and paying attention. The whole time I was not thinking about God, but I was thinking about "I hope I look cute right now" and as I strutted down the aisle..."I kind of feel like I am on a cat walk!" Also, should I say, "thank you," or "God bless you," when someone gives a donation? I am a bad Catholic. After all the money collecting...I didn't even think to put money in the basket myself. Then again, I don't have an income, I have an ever growing debt. Oh well...I have learned my lesson. I should probably start attending Church more and from now on will sit closer to the front.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment