So I am getting ready to finish up my Surgery sub-internship in trauma this month. Let's just say it has been interesting, sad, exciting, and tiring.
My days go from about 5 am to 6-8 pm.
Here are some interesting observations:
1) My children are never riding a motorcycle...ok never driving a car...ok never leaving the house. After trauma after trauma of teenagers and young adults in MVCs (the is doctor lingo for Motor Vehicle Accident), I now understand why my parents always wanted us to call them with our plans and have a curfew. I cannot imagine the anxiety. After seeing a young mother say goodbye to her 16 yo son after a tragic car accident that killed 3 teenagers, I can only imagine the anxiety my parents felt when I failed to call them late at night.
2) I have lost my patience for gang violence. We had a GSW (that is short for gun shot wound) to the head today. Patient came in awake and talking...what? Pretty crazy, but this is like the 5th GSW I have seen in the last 2 weeks and it is getting kind of old. I am like, "what did you do to bring this on?" I have become less sympathetic.
3) I miss the happier times in medicine, i.e. delivering babies!
4) I am in the surgical ICU most of the day, so there are a lot of sad stories, but a few great ones. One of my patients came in near death after a horrible MVC and now she is slowly getting better each day. I am not going to lie, I have cried several times when I see a patient make huge progress.
I will update soon on my residency interview trail. So far I have 4 interviews. 1) KU. 2)Wichita KU, 3) University of San Antonio and 4) University of Louisville in Kentucky.
So we will see what happens...kinda nervous.
#2 - WICHITA!!!
ReplyDelete