Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crazy Day

Today, I was the primary surgeon in a c-section or caesar for a 34 week mother with HIV and a previous c-section. The doctor asked if I wanted to do the case and I just had to say yes, I mean I cannot pass up that opportunity. I was pretty nervous, especially since the patient probably had scar tissue from a previous c-section and was HIV positive, but it went well and felt awesome to be in charge and I did not stick myself. Thank God.

Getting baby out
The labor ward was nuts today. I have never seen so many pregnant women in one area. They just sit lined up in their hospital gowns on a bench waiting to be assessed. It is pretty frustrating that the patients just don't seem to get good attention and care. I have always been taught to be a patient advocate, but it seems quite the opposite here. No one tells the patients anything and most of the time they have no idea what is going on with them or what medications they are taking, etc. They will trust anything and everything you say, which I don't think is a good thing. They need to ask questions and understand why certain things are being done to them. Especially the fact the c-section rate is almost 50%. 2 out of the 4 c-sections I did today and yesterday, I did not think were necessary and the doctor could not give me a good reason why they were being done.

I digress...it really was a good/crazy day, besides getting HIV blood squirted all over my scrubs while helping put in an IV and having to wear the hospital's baggy MC Hammer scrub pants the rest of the day.

We are celebrating Alicia's birthday, which is this weekend, tonight. Some of the others came home early and made a cake and we surprised her when she got home from work. Steakhouse dinner tonight for the occasion!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work babe! Wish I would have been on the other side of the drape to watch this feat!

    DO NOT STICK YOURSELF! And how did you squirt yourself with an IV? Put it in the vein babe, not the artery. It's not an a-line.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete