Just woke up from my 24 hour on call shift. This means go in at 6:00 am...work the normal day, then stick around all night until the next morning. Since I am on a Gyn rotation, the only Ob or Labor and Delivery I get to experience is on my Wed night call shifts. Last night was crazy! So much fun. We had tons of women come in "in labor" but we sent them home because they were not actually in labor just yet. I got to scrub in on a 28 week (normal age is 40 weeks) old c-section. It was pretty intense, but the tiny little baby came out crying, so that is good. The intubated him (put a breathing tube down his throat) to help him breathe because his lungs are not mature enough yet and shipped him off to the NICU. It was sad, but a pretty neat experience. I hope he does well.
Lately, I have been dealing with a lot of cases of patient wanting an abortion or planning on getting one. I don't have much experience with abortions, the elective kind, and I am not sure what to think of it all. They treat them like they are no big deal and even do the late (2nd trimester abortions) in Colorado, which I find kind of hard to accept. I may go to a clinic to see what it is all about, but I am afraid it will be too disturbing. I have talked to a couple people who have gone and said it was hard to watch. I will keep you updated on this.
That is all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment