Sunday, August 8, 2010

Denver

Denver is great. I have officially been here for 8 days. When I first got in town last Saturday, I met up with Emily and we ran around town running errands. That night we went to Evergreen to Jamie Smith's grandparents Colorado home. I was the 5th wheel with Em and Adam and Phil Mann (Jamie's cousin) and his gf Nikki. They cooked us a little mexican fiesta and we drank corona's and talked till about 1 in the morning.

The next day we headed to Coors Stadium to watch the Rockies take on the Cubs. We had 4th row seats behind home plate. It was ridiculously hot and humid, so good thing we had the owner's suite tickets! Tanner Richard's (most of you know him from K-State) parents won these suite tickets so we all could go up and enjoy the view of the stadium, free beer and food, and airconditioning.

Suite/Sweet View!



Rooftop beers after the game



Work started last Monday at the University of Denver Hospital. I am doing a Gyn Sub-I (intership) for the month. So far, I love it! The first day I show up in my dress clothes and white coat only to have to change into scrubs and go to the OR for the day. I looked really stylish in my scrubs and purple flat shoes. I have got to do tons of surgery, as well as see ER patients, clinic work, and spend a night on Labor and Delivery. Every Wednesday night I am on call...which means I spend the day there and then spend the night in Labor and Delivery. I get Thursday off to sleep thank God. Last Wed I got to deliver the patient I helped admit and follow through her progression in labor all night. It was pretty cool and she did an amazing job for being 20 years old and this being her first child. The residents are all young and cool. I have not met a single resident or attending physician that I do not like. Most of the attendings are young and not far our of residency so they are really nice to me and like to help teach.


This weekend I spent Saturday in Washington Park with Emily, Larry, Becky, and some of their friends. We played vollyball and hung out. I finally got a little sun. I met some of my new residents for the rest of this month, for dinner and drinks in the afternoon. I thought it would be a quick meeting, but we all ended up staying out till 11:00. Today I tried this amazing ice cream place called Red Trolley. They have this chocolate carmal and sea salt ice cream...weird, but amazing.

I have been pretty busy, but I am having a good time, minus the fact I am away from Brian for so long. Kinda sucks...I feel everything would be even 10 times better with him out here with me. He will be out here next month and I will be back in KC, so he will get to explore Denver after the ol' switcheroo. It is going to be hard to plan a wedding being apart for 2 months, but we are getting things done slowly but surely. Hope everyone in Kansas, Texas, Colorado, Washington, Missouri, California, Illinois, and Iowa (I think I got everyone) is doing well!








1 comment:

  1. I'm go glad you're having a good time, and love hearing about your hospital experiences! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete