Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles

Over the past two weeks Brian and I have traveled all over the midwest, south, and east coast to interview for residencies. It has been I big pain planning all of these interviews and pretty expensive (good thing I live at home right now). One thing I have learned is a sense of independence. I was really nervous to fly into Pensacola, rent a car, drive to Panama City (for Brian and Chris's Ironman), drive back to Pensacola, and fly to Lexington (for an interview), then fly back to KC. I have never done that on my own, especially rent a car. It is so easy though! Renting a car is very affordable and the quickest, easiest process.
When this whole process of interviews started, I thought Brian and I would just go to all ours together. Wrong! Out of 20 some interviews scheduled, only 1 was together. We both had our interview at Wash U in STL yesterday. We decided to take a train there. It was awesome. $50 round trip, lots of leg room, no security, you can pack whatever you want, walk around the different cars, eat at the cafe car, hang out on the back of the train and watch the tracks fly by, lay across a whole row to yourself to sleep. I highly recommend this form of transportation. It took about 5.5 hours to get there, so longer than driving, but it didn't matter.
All together, interviews are going well. I have done 5 now. KU, Kentucky (Lexington), Houston, MU, and now Wash U. It is getting tiring and I am not even half way done. I think Brian and I decided on doing 15-17 maximum. We are doing the "couples match" so we are supposed to apply to more places. Most people ask what is this match process. I myself am still a little confused, but I see it similar to college rush.
1) Send out applications
2) Interview at the places that liked your application
3) Make a rank list from 1 to whatever number you interviewed at
4) The schools rank you
5) They put it all in a computer and match you up
6) If you are a couple, they put you through the system first to make sure you are in the same city, if not the same hospital.
7) Match day- Open an envelope of where you matched onstage in front of your whole class. Oh by the way, it is on St. Patricks Day!
8) Celebrate!

Can't wait to see what the future holds for Brian and I. Scary, but exciting. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone. I will be in KC so hopefully see most of you!


-Blog post to come on Brian and Chris's Ironman. It was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment