Friday, February 4, 2011

End of week 1

So I am dragging a little this morning. After work yesterday, we all had a little impromptu pub crawl and then decided to go to a club. The club was packed on a Thursday night, which is student night. I felt like we were in LA. Wall to wall people with private tables and a huge packed dance floor. We had so much fun minus people dropping their glass cups all over the dance floor so we were basically dancing/walking on broken glass. Alex sliced her foot open, but good thing we are all soon to be doctors or nurses...we bandaged that right up and she continued on.

Yesterday, was a long day in the labor ward. It was realyl frustrating because I help labor three patients that ended up all going to cesear (South African term for a c-section) for the the most riduculous things...different from the States, but that is a whole other discussion. On the bright side I got to do a lot of cervical checks, which means checking to see how far dilated a patient is. It is takes a lot of practice, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I called a patient 6 cm, while the doctor said 10 cm or completely dilated. We sent her back to the labor ward and all the sisters (S.A. term for nurses) got her at a 6 too. So, I felt good about that! I do have red marks and bruises all up y arms from a patient almost breaking my arm while I was trying to soothe her during contractions. Now I can't wait to have kids after seeing her (sarcastic tone)!

Today we are all moving pretty slow and decided not to go to work. No one will even notice. I think we are going to lay out for a while and then do some tours around Jo'burg such as the World Beer Tour, Bike Tour of a shanty town called Soweto, the Apartheid museum, and maybe a trip to the Lion Park to hold baby lions. I will take lots of pictures!

Hope you are all surviving Snowmageddon 2011!

Here are some more house pictures. We are really roughing it here.
Back of the house. Note the nice balcony porch surrounded in ivy right out outside one of our rooms.
My room and bathroom included all the windows on the far right second story. In this picture you can also see the outline of the pool that was filled for some reason. We lay out on that and pretend we are floating on a pool.


Another view of part of the bedroom. My chair has accumulated my clothes already per usual.

My quaint little bathroom.

Sort of a view of the big shower. It is actually the biggest shower I have ever had and stretched back to the right side even more. And one more view. I really like my bathroom if you can't tell. A nice bathroom is one luxury I did not expect, but always enjoy while I travel.

View of the backyard from my room. Main staircase from my room.

One view of part of the kitchen. Out living/family dinner room. So far we have had curry chicken and vegetables courtesy Chris and spaghetti with squash courtesy Alicia.

Finally I had to add one of my nephew Connor. He turned 12 on Feb 2nd! Holy Cow I cannot believe he is almost a teenager. For his birthday, Gwen and Ryan surprised him that he would be the ball boy at the K-State Men versus Nebraska basketball game. Here is him sinking a basket from the three point line.

5 comments:

  1. Courtney- I'm so happy you are blogging about this! It's so fun to hear what you are doing - and what amazing accomodations :) We were talking about you at the A&A meeting last night and wondering what exactly you were up to...but now I know. Keep up the good work DR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the house Court! Sounds like it's already an adventure and you've only been there a week! We were watching the game on Wednesday and I was like Connor!!! I remember when he was a tiny little guy singing "get low" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like your bathroom so much Sis, maybe next post you can show some pictures of South Africa ... as opposed to a dozen shots of where you pee :) Stay safe and beware of anyone that looks like the villans from Lethal Weapon 2. Love ya. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! Looks like you've got it pretty rough over there. I can't wait for you to go to the lion park, take lots of pictures!!! And PS, Connor is getting HUGE, but I'm pretty sure that's not the three point line....:) love you Court!

    ReplyDelete