Thursday, July 28, 2011

That's What "He" Said

So, I thought that I would take a stab at this whole "blogging" thing, just in case the Anesthesiology thing doesn't work out. I don't want to put all of my eggs in one basket.

As of Saturday, month one of 48 towards residency completion will be done, and the only thing that I've learned is I know absolutely nothing about medicine. Comforting? I've been spending my month...sort of...in the Emergency Department. Compared to Courtney's, my schedule has been a ridiculous joke. The first day I arrived, the E.R. doc working that day told me not to come at all, to basically stay away and study. So I did. (Un)fortunately, I got an email about a week later from the director of my rotation saying that I had to do ten day shifts and ten night shifts. After throwing together a makeshift schedule I had to start going and I learned why the attending that day told me not to come: I just get in the way. The E.R. is a well-oiled-machine. The nurses and doctors all have their own system and I just seemed to mess up their system. Rarely would I be asked to see a patient, and when I did, I didn't get much decision making autonomy. I spent most of my shifts reading and studying for my final boards to get my permanent medical license -- watch out! Fortunately, a few doc's had me go do lumbar punctures or put in central lines (giant IV's that go in the jugular vein). I'm like a little kid in a candy store when they ask me to stick people with needles! One of the biggest advantages of my program though is the 10 residents in my program are the only residents in our hospital. This means that when we are on call, we are in charge of all of the codes (heart attacks) and rapid responses--people about to have a heart attack, that we need to prevent. It was ridiculously scary, and still is a bit, but its an amazing learning experience. But don't worry, like Courtney did when I told her about this, the attending doctor is only a phone call away for advice and direction.

I just finished my last night shift this morning (11 p.m. to 7 a.m.) of a string of 5 nights. I can't sleep anymore and don't really know how to get back into a normal routine.

As Court has mentioned, she's been super busy (hence why I'm the blogger). Most of her days are 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., but more like 7 p.m. She's definitely been working her ass off, but has seen some cool stuff and has learned a lot! She starts Gynecology on Sunday, but has a week off and is heading to see twin-2 during the vacation, leaving me lonely at home in the 107 degree heat. As for me, I start Nephrology (Kidney) on Monday. I'll finally get to see patients and act like a doctor. I just wish I was able to do Anesthesiology stuff this year like I want, not all the random medicine stuff. Makes me jealous that Court gets to do what she want right from the start.

Hope everyone is having a great summer. Sucks that we're adults now and have jobs and summer vacation is gone. I know most have been this way for a long time, but it's new to me! Court and I are hoping to renew our vows in Cancun next year...not really, but damn we miss that place!

Married life thus far has been good. We are so busy though, that it seems like we know absolutely NOTHING about OKC and haven't had a chance to explore and find all the cool hangouts and dives. I haven't even found good bike roads or running paths. Oh, and Court has been really cranky from lack of sleep--sorry babe, love ya!

--Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment