
Ok I have only worked for 4 days straight and I already have a day off. But let me tell you...it is much needed already. I am working the the Trauma Intensive Care Unit this month. The first day was rough. I had 6 patients to see and write notes on and then present to our attendings (Docs in charge). I had know idea how to use the computer system, find the patient's history, or know where I was going for that matter. It was bad. To make matters worse, while I was presenting a patient, I got light headed, almost passed out, and had to sit down. I was so embarrassed.
Most days I feel pretty stupid. It has been since January since I really have done anything medical and had to really study. The learning curve is basically completely vertical. Yesterday I finally felt like I have more of a grasp on things. I could not do it without the awesome ICU nurses. They have saved my butt multiple times already. They know their stuff and basically suggest what orders I need to do for the patients. It is weird and scary actually being responsible. I can write orders now and my signature actually means something.
Side note: The Trauma ICU is completely full. There are lots of MVCs (motor vehicle collisions) and people who had dove into shallow pools. Most of the people have head or spinal injuries and are paralyzed. It is pretty sad that these people's lives are changed forever because of one decision, especially under the influence of alcohol. So be careful everyone!
You can do it, Dr. Court! Proud of you. :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine working in the Trauma ICU for 4 days straight - if not physically exhausting, for sure emotionally exhausting! I'm sure you are doing great!! Hang in there Dr. Seacat!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete