No no...no babies for me anytime soon. This week I started my pediatric rotation and I get to hang out in the full term nursery all week. Basically, this job consists of going to deliveries, picking up the newborn after the delivery, doing a quick assessment and exam on the babe, then holding and playing with them for the rest of the day. Kind of a rough week! I never have been an infant/baby person, I mean they really don't do too much except eat, sleep, and do horrible things in their diapers. I think after these last few days my mother, nurturing side has at last emerged. Holding this 4 hour old infant baby girl, I found myself wondering, "what would my babies look like" and "what a miracle!" Something very out of character for me. They are just so darn cute even if they sometimes kind of look like little aliens.
It is also kind of sad, as the majority of these babies at KU are born to teenage mom's without any support or father in the picture. So, I find myself wondering what will this baby boy or girl turn into after I grow kind of attached to them in the few days I get to take care of them.
Also, I finally got to see a live vaginal (I know some may still cringe at the word, but I have finally grown accustom to saying it) birth. The three I have seen make it look soo easy. The first one I saw the mother popped the thing out with ease and without a single sound. Then, with the umbilical cord hanging out and all, immediately grabbed her phone and started texting! Seriously? Yes. One mom only yelled for like two pushes and then she was done. The father of the baby was there but, made a nurse stand in front of him because he wanted something in his line of vision to block the "stuff" going on "down there". Watching these made me way less reluctant to have a kid one day. Seriously, not like in the movies as Lyssa can attest to.
THat is amazing.... I want one.
ReplyDelete