Saturday, June 5, 2010

Race Weekend!

This weekend I declare race weekend. Saturday morning, was the Hospital Hill run and a 200 mile mountain bike trail race. Tomorrow is the big 1/2 IronMan. I would like to call myself a professional observer. I know all the spots to be when my athletes come by and all the tricks of the trade to getting a good spot to observe and cheering on the athletes.

This morning Brian and I went out to watch the Hospital Hill run. Our good friend, Jeff Miller, was doing the 1/2 marathon. Also out there was Brittany Carter and Danny Kanatzer doing the 10k. Let's just say they all did an amazing job. I am sure Britt will be filling everyone in on her blog about the race. BRian and I had a blast cheering on the runners. I was amazed to see so many little kids running it. I mean at 6 years old, I was watching cartoons or playing nitendo on a Saturday morning. There are a coupe, I sweat 5 year olds decked out in dryfit t-shirts and sweat bands, cruising along like they were out for a nice morning jog. Are you kidding me? As far as the race goes, Jeff got a time of 1:32, which will assure him a good spot in the Chicago marathon (you have to get under 1:35 to qualify for a lead spot in the race).

After the race Jeff wasn't feeling well (it was extremely humid) and was pretty dehydrated so we followed him to the medic tent. There were at least 3 people in there in pretty bad shape that had to get taken to the hospital, and more runners were getting wheeled in left and right from the finish line. Brian and I were in the tent helping Jeff, when a worker comes over and yells and Brian and I to leave (even after we had helped them move people to stretchers and such...plus we are 4th year med students...we may know a thing or two to help). Apparently no one was allowed in there. As we are walking out, he grabs Brian's waist and starts pushing him. Brian turns around, "like why the hell are you pushing me?" The guy must have gotten intimidated by Brian's tall skinny frame and yelled, "SECURITY!" We couldn't believe it. Really? Brian and I need to be controlled by security. "Security" comes strolling over and rolls their eyes when Brian and I tell them we are the ones causing a "ruckus". Think that guy overreacted much. Sheesh!

Anyways, in other race news...Brian's brother, Garret, was doing a 200 mile race today. He is a pro mountain biker and was attempting to make it all the way this year. The race is not a road race it is a trail race, meaning through rocks and dirt and other elements. Sounds like fun right? He will hopefully update about the race on his blog, Seagato. Let's just say it sounds like it was hot and horrible. I will be surprised if anyone actually finished on a day like today.

Tomorrow is the big 1/2 IronMan. My brother, Chris, is doing the race for the second time and Brian is doing it for the first time. I am so nervous for them, but I know they will do amazing. Gotta get up at 4:30 to make it to Lawrence in time for the start. Good night!

P.S. Went to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons concert with Gail/Mom tonight. Amazing! More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. And finally you saw Andy J and Barbara L!! Who also ran the 10k! And are also awesome!

    ReplyDelete