I have to do my monthly blog update on my rotation. Right now I am just finishing Geriatrics, which means "old people medicine". It has been a surprisingly great experience and made me a little less afraid to get old in some ways and in others a little more afraid. Dementia is one of the common things people think about with aging and there was a lot of it. Most people have experienced it before in one form or another, from grandparents to even great great aunts.
We watched an HBO documentary video last week on Dementia and it made such a lasting impression on me I thought I would share it. It is long, but awesome, so grab some popcorn. You have to at least watch the guy who whistles with advanced dementia, but is able to get up and perform an old song he wrote perfectly. The ending is extremely heart wrenching, too. I may have shed a tear....or balled my eyes out.
Enjoy! Make sure to watch the second part that plays after the first segment...that is where the whistling man is.
http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/memory-loss-tapes.html
No comments:
Post a Comment