So I finished my night shift for the week and started on the day shift. All I can say is...I love it. Delivered my first 2 babies. What an amazing experience. One seriously came out in one push, probably because it was her third child. The other lady was a first time mom, so it took a little effort. I got to do a c-section today, too. Besides having to sit on the OR room floor because I almost passed out (due to hypoglycemia...I was so embarrassed), it was awesome. The baby came out blue and not breathing, but was fine after some suctioning.
The Labor and Delivery floor is always exciting. You never know who is going to walk in the doors. We had a patient the other night that was brought to the floor from the ICU by the police. She was pregnant and visiting the baby daddy who was in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit after being shot. She claims he threw a chair at her and she hit her pregnant belly, other reports claim she was trying to smoother him. Anyways, I go in there to talk to her and get her history. She was hysterical in tears and vomiting in between answering my questions. Then, enter the police. They claim she has warrants out for her arrest and she would be taken into custody after she was released from the hospital. Next thing we know, the nurse says, "My patient is gone!" She had gotten dressed and bolted out the door. We all were upset because we felt we were" bonding" with the patient and felt bad for her. We were deceived! Yeah, KUMC is full of "interesting" patients to say the least.
Anyways, helping deliver a baby is a pretty amazing experience and gives me way less anxiety about one day possibly doing that. One day meaning...10+ years from now.
The suspense is killing me! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree Ali, soon usually means later that same day Court, wtf?
ReplyDelete