School is killing me right now. I hate that I don't ever have a set schedule every week, have to work night shifts and weekends, and have to work with unnecessarily cruel doctors. I know this is the path I have chosen, but can't we find some kind of compromise because it is only going to get worse when I become a resident. They have now started a 80 hour limit work week for residents. I honestly don't know any residents that work under 80 hours/week especially in surgery and ob/gyn. Even though most residents "log" 80 hours, most work nearly 100 or more!
Times may be changing though. Back in the day, doctors lived to work and had very little balance in their lives. Today, more physicians want "a life", so hours are trying to improve and physicians are setting up their practices to be less demanding. I mean what is the point of working so much and making so much money, without time or people to share it with. Anyways, this blog rant all stems from me missing a fabulous bachelorette party this weekend and other festivities. I have many married friends and have only been able to make it to one bach party due to school obligations. All right I am calm now... I realize I am not the only one with school and work requirements, so I sympathize with everyone else when they cannot attend everything they want to.
Another thing that has been bugging me...why do attendings or faculty (these are the doctors out of residency aka the big bosses) like humiliating med students. We are nervous already about have to present a patient's history and physical, labs, assessment and plan , etc in front pf attendings, residents, and other med students. So it is not always that bad, but some doctors just seem to get joy out of embarrassing students, making them feel totally incompetent, and causing people to fear them. Some doctors have been know to throw things in the OR at people, yell and curse at nurses, and basically think they are "gods that walk the earth" (yes that was once said by a surgeon). I am sure some of you have bosses like this, but I just don't understand the efficiency behind this behavior of making people fear you. Oh the hierarchy of medicine! One day when I am at the "top" I promise to treat all my staff and colleagues (med students and residents) alike with the utmost respect and only throw soft objects!
Your life fascinates me :) Hang in their Court... it will all be so worth it!
ReplyDeleteHang in there court!
ReplyDeleteWe love you Court!
ReplyDeleteOh geez. I can only imagine!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteCourtney,
ReplyDeleteI'm in my naive state of mind right now as a second year- I'm so excited that we're scheduling our rotations for third year. All I can think about is how happy I'll be to be out of a lecture hall, but I know there is a whole world of scariness and arrogance out there. I'm sure you are doing awesome - hang in there! I'll be joining you soon enough... and then I'll be on the bottom!
Kate(Swain)... only MS II :)