So I just awoke for the day after my first night shift on OB. Sadly no babies yet. There were 3 women induced, but those take forever...so better luck tonight
I did have to go down to the ER. There was a women who had had a c-section on Monday with a huge blood clot in this incision. We had to open it up right there and scoop out globs of blood. It was pretty cool, but also hard to do as the women had no pain medication. She was pretty much writhing in pain and on top of that spoke only Ethiopian and had no idea what was going on. The doctor I was with could tell I looked worried and said, "You are not doing her any favors by being gentle," as I was washing out her wound with sterile fluid and gauze trying not to hurt her too much. It made realize sometimes putting people in pain is for the greater good of the patient. Which is still confusing because the first day of med school we took the Hippocratic Oath to "Do No Harm." Oh Ethics!
On a more fun note, I hope everyone enjoys there weekend and those traveling to STL have a safe trip. I will keep you all updated on any deliveries or interesting events overnight.
Sounds like an exciting night! As a side note...did we actually say the Hippocratic Oath? I don't remember ever saying it, and I'm moderately sure we don't literally ever say it.... But I could be wrong.
ReplyDelete-Andy Jurgensmeier